Thursday, April 21, 2016

Jul's Progkast - 3 Blog

In this podcast - 

Sumeritae - Intro
Nafta - Mesec (2008)
Lista de Lily - On the Radio (2015)
Sumeritae - Virrey Trefusis (2015)
Amadiro - Land of Glory (2014)
Dyr Faser - Koso Biru (2015)
Melange - Conan (2016)
Mascaras - Burgers Balrog (2015)

BAND SPOTLIGHT  

 

Nafta

Nafta is a punkish metal band from Serbia comprised of -
Bane S. Vukosavljević - vocal, guitars
Dragan Vidaković - Risto - bass guitar
Aleksa Otašević - drums
I really enjoy this music. It rocks and yet it is quite intricate in arrangement. Just a simple little guitar riff here and a little twang there - these guys know what makes a rock song and what makes the music "sing" to you. These guys are veterans and they know what they are doing. Some solid Rock and Roll here. I include this on a Progressive Rock Podcast because I feel the musicianship and solos/bridges are complex enough that they merit a Punk/Metal/Prog designation. Quality swag.
Nafta facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NAFTA-102339031736/ and bandcamp page https://nafta.bandcamp.com/


Amadiro


This is a band that I found on Patreon - patreon.com/amadiro. If you go to their patreon page you can see some of their videos of their Who and Pink Floyd covers. I, personally, think that they are very talented, their vocalists are amazing and their original music is true blue Prog. I hope that these guys n gal continue to release originals, and perhaps tour the "states" sometime. Here's their cover of Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Visit their patreon page and become a patron! (I might add that their videos are very well produced as well...). Thanks to Amadiro for allowing me to play their music on Progkast.
 Dyr Faser 
I am getting to like this guy the more I listen to his music. Eric Boomhower gets help from Thalia Zedek on guitar on the track "Koso Biru". Sure it's a guy with a keyboard. Sure they aren't real drums. I feel that programmed drums have their place - and this is it. As a drummer, I wouldn't want to play a repetitive beat like this... I am not a metronome, I am a musician. One who keeps the beat... but also one who colors it. So to the acoustic drum purists... "faux" beats have a function and I cannot think of a better platform. The music is mesmerizing, invigorating, melodic, and, after a few listens, spinning around and around in my head. At first I was wary of playing something that may be construed as "Techno Pop" but this was so good and had many Prog elements to it, therefore for my own personal purposes, it is now labeled "Progressive Techno Rock". Modern Prog, if you will. And when all else fails, I compare the music to Pink Floyd.... "Would the Floyd do this?" Why yes, yes, they would... albeit with real drums (wink). From the album of the same title on Vulpiano Records.
Mascaras

These guys just plain rock. Prog has made a turn in the past 10 or more years and there are many Metal Prog bands. Mascaras is like Garage Punk Prog. Again, these guys too, the more I hear them, the more I like. Classic Prog stalwarts may not like the newer Metal sound... I'm a Classic listener and I welcome the new sub-genres all. I also like to keep people awake... this was sort of the wake up song (wink).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again to Lista De Lily and also Amadiro, for allowing me to play their music. All other music was culled from freemusicarchive.org thanks to WFMU at FMU.

No comments:

Post a Comment